Thursday, May 08, 2008

108. Love Struck, Melanie La'Brooy

This is one of the funniest chick-lit i've ever read... and love it more because the author was Australian and it has lots of inside jokes about Sydney and Melbourne. There's too many funny anecdotes, i can't jott them down here. But it's basically a story of a Melbournian (who apparently are called 'Mexican' by the Sydney siders because we're from 'south of the border'), who moved to Sydney with her boyfriend. But then the boyfriend left for Adelaide for work. So she ended up being in Sydney on her own, hating it. A glorious funny novel about one girl's blossoming love affair with life.


"During the first part (of yoga) I thought I'd die and gone to exercise heaven because all we had to do was lie on our backs, close our eyes and breathe. I was lying there happily, just breathing (which evn I was capable of doing completely), and cursing myself for all the years I'vd wasted falling off the Step during manic Step aerobics classess, and being viciously elbowed in the breasts by aggresive harpies on the netball court. No wonder so many people were raving about the benefits of yoga. It was like beig in kindergarden again and having the teacher pat you on the head and praise you for successfully taking an afternoon nap. It was exercise specifically designed for the insecure underachiever."

and

"She cheered up and handed me a bag "It's our cat-finding kit".

Amongst other things, the bag contained two torches. One had flat batteries and the other was a Bananas in Pyjamas glow in the dark children's torch that emitted a beam that was less lke a powerful search light and more like the last sputtering flickers given off by a dying incense burner.

When I had suggested that Fran bring along some cat-like temptations I had envisaged an open cat of cat food, perhaps a ball of wool or some strategically placed bowls of milk. Fran had thought it more appropriate to bring along a Barrier Reef tourist brochure that had lots of glossy picture of tropical fish in it, and a video cassette of Mouse Hunt"


LOL. I love this book. I'm eyeing for the author's second book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home