Sunday, September 28, 2008

116. The Naked Husband, Mark D'Arbanville

A story of a married man, who had a comfortable 'perfect' life. Then he met someone from his past, whom he believed was his soulmate; someone who made him breathless at the sight of her, and began an affair with her. She was also married, and despite the fact that they declared their undying love for each other, she refused to leave her husband. The man himself has left his wife and walked out from his marriage. "All my friends tell me that Sue still loves me. She wants me, so I am obliged to love her back. Isn't that what love is?"

It's an interesting read about the reality of love. It also challenges my view about being with someone out of yours and society's expectation. "It was Sue's kindness that bound us together...Is kindness enough? Should I love out the rest of my days with comfort and familiarity and the security of knowing she needs me, and never have the temerity to ask for more? Knowing, too, that I can give so much more? These are velvet ropes and I am softly bound."

I dont usually like ending that is 'hanging'.. but this book ends perfectly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home