Sunday, September 28, 2008

117. Ask Again Later, Jill A. Davis

About a girl who has a tendency to live life with one foot out of the door. It was very amusingly written. So many funny anecdotes... but this is my fav:

In front of my desk is an impressive wall of bulletproof Plexiglas. It's the one thing I'll miss about this crappy job when I leave. I've been able to wrok in confidence knowing that if someone tries to shoot me - the fabulous sultry gal who answers phone - the bullets will bounce mockingly off the the Plexiglas and not disturb me from the important business of answering the telephone.

When the phone doesnt ring for awhile, I start to think about brining in my own gun and taking a couple of shots of the Plexiglas to test it. Sure the manufacturer says it's bulletproof. Idont own a piece though, and when I call a shooting range somewhere in Millbrook, New York, they tell me not to call again. Ever. They refused to answer my questions. How much will it cost to hire a guy to take a couple of shots at a piece of Plexiglas in Mid town high-rise?

....

At lunchtime, I walk downstairs to the lobby and buy the tallest, thickiest magazine i can find, then walk down Fifth Avenue with them propped up in front of my chest. I've grown to feel naked without the Plexiglas shield.

If a sniper tried to get me, would the magazines stop the bullets? I had great confidence that Vogue, particularly the September issue, might have the heft to stop a shower of hot lead. A coutious person by nature, I skip every few stops, hop on one foot, turn around, duck down, and pop up. If a sniper is waiting for me, watching me, well, he is going to work for this hit. I;m no one's easy mark
"

so entertaining!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home